Getting to the Event
This display attracts approximately 20,000 people. Most people arrive immediately before and leave immediately after the display, at which time the common and surrounding roads do become very congested. Please allow plenty of time for your journey and arrive early.
We'd like to encourage everyone to think about the environment when planning on coming down to the event. We'd encourage walking, cycling or using public transport.
FREE TO PARK!
To help save you time and to avoid traffic congestion when travelling to enjoy the City’s firework display, please visit the Cambridgeshire park&ride website for information about Cambridge’s park&ride sites. Additional buses will operate from all five park&ride sites. The last bus for the start of the display will leave park&ride sites at 6.30pm and the last return departure from the city centre will be at 8:30pm.
There will be no other park&ride busses after this time, however park&ride sites can be reached using Stagecoach's Citi Bus network.
Further Firework night park&ride information:
On Tuesday 5th November 2019 Cambridge hosts its annual firework display on Midsummer Common, with some major road closures in place from 6:00pm – 8.30pm. During this Closure Park&ride service buses will still be able to service all City Centre bus stops, with the exception of Newmarket Rd from 7pm (see below).
The Madingley P&R bus will unfortunately not be able to serve the inbound Bridge St bus stop from 6pm and passengers will need to alight in St Andrews St.
park&ride buses will be operating prior and after the event, with the display scheduled to start at 7pm, so please plan your journey.
An increased P&R service will continue to use their scheduled stops prior and after the event, to assist people for the event.
Details of these increased buses and their locations are detailed below.
Babraham P&R will not have an increased service and the last departure for that is 20:31 Emmanuel St, stop E5.
Towards Madingley park&ride – St Andrews St Stop S2, Last bus 8.30pm Towards Milton park&ride – Drummer St Stop D1, Last bus 8.30pm Towards Trumpington park&ride – Downing St Stop D1, last bus 8.30pm
Towards Newmarket park&ride (after 7pm) – Drummer St Bus Station Bay4, last bus 8.30pm
- For other bus information visit the Stagecoach website or phone 01223 433250. Click here to view Stagecoach's Citi Bus network.
- For information on the Guided Buses from Huntingdon and St Ives please visit the Busway website
If you are travelling by car please make note of the road closures and one way systems below.
- Car parking will be available at Grand Arcade, Grafton East, Park Street and Queen Anne Terrace car parks. Access to Grafton West will be restricted between 6.30pm and 8.30pm due to planned road closures on Maids Causeway. Contactless entry and exit is available at all of the above-named car parks via bank card and Apple Pay. Please see Cambridge City Council’s parking webpages for more information.
- If you require accessible parking, it is only will be available at Jesus College; use the Victoria Avenue entrance and arrive prior to the road closures. Exit will be via Jesus Lane. All vehicles exiting Jesus College prior to 8.30pm must turn right into Jesus Lane. These spaces are limited and available to Blue Badge holders only. Spaces must be occupied before the road closure comes into operation at 6.30pm, after which time it will not be possible to drive to the car park. After road closures, or when these spaces have been filled, the Grafton East car park and Queen Anne Terrace car park are recommended.
- Victoria Avenue, Trafalgar Road, Trafalgar Street, Fair Street, New Square, Jesus Lane and King’s Street between Four Lamps Roundabout and Manor Street, and a part closure of Maids Causeway will be closed between 6pm to 9.30pm, as crowds build up.
- Limekiln Road between Worts Causeway and Queen Edith’s Way will be closed to vehicles between 6.45pm to 7.45pm.
- There will be no access for vehicles — including residents, blue badge holders or taxis — for the duration of the road closures.
- Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained.